As part of its Transit Optimization Study (TOS) DART is collecting feedback on changes it is proposing to make to service so that it runs in a way that better fits the needs of our riders and member communities. Of the changes proposed in the TOS, DART is looking at moving forward with changes that would update service in Urbandale.
Local Route 74 – Northwest Urbandale
Local Route 74 currently operates as Fixed Route service, where a DART Operator drives a DART branded bus along the same route, at scheduled times on weekdays. Trips are operated during peak travel times in the morning and afternoon and transports riders to destinations in and around Urbandale, West Des Moines and Windsor Heights.
DART is proposing replacing Local Route 74 with a Flex Connect service, similar to the pilot DART is operating in a zone in north Des Moines and Urbandale, including Merle Hay Mall.
Flex Connect is an on-demand service that connects riders in the Flex Connect zone to DART buses. With Flex Connect, riders in the zone can book a trip through another transportation provider, such as Uber, YellowCabCo. taxi or a DART accessible vehicle to take a door-to-door trip to destinations within the Flex Connect zone.
Popular destinations would include businesses, shopping locations, medical offices and DART bus stops and transfer points including Valley West Mall and Urbandale City Hall. This service would operate weekdays between 5:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m., allowing riders to request trips anytime within those hours.
Due to the ongoing spread of COVID-19 in central Iowa, DART is unable to hold large, in-person meetings in each community to collect feedback. So instead, we will be offering several virtual options for riders and residents to let us know what they think.
- Virtual public meeting: DART will host a virtual public meeting focused on the changes happening in Urbandale
- When: Thursday, Dec. 17 at 5:30 p.m.
- Where: Virtually via Webex, click here for login information
- Online info session: DART Chief Planning Officer Luis Montoya will hold a Facebook Live session to share some background on the Transit Optimization Study and specifics on the changes DART is proposing. Riders can submit questions on Facebook before the event or ask questions “live.”
- When: Wednesday, Dec.16 at Noon
- Where: Live on DART’s Facebook page
- Via phone call: Riders can share their thoughts on the proposed changes by calling DART Customer Service at 515-283-8100 option 0. They can either leave a comment with Customer Service or request a member of DART’s Planning Team call them directly to discuss the changes.
- Via email: Riders can submit their comments to the changes by emailing comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Survey: Feel free to leave any specific comments you have on these changes in the form below. Remember to indicate if you would like to have a member of DART’s team contact you about your comments.