Over the past several months, DART has developed a draft vision for shared mobility using customer feedback and community input. Now we need to hear from you about what changes would improve your travel and what gaps remain.
By using our online tool, you can help influence what service options you would most like to see implemented.
What we learned from you
DART collected feedback in April 2021 through several virtual meetings, and a survey. We heard from more than 1,200 people through those efforts, the results of which we used to develop proposed service changes that could be implemented in the next 1-3 years as well as longer-term service improvements. Learn more and give your input now by using our online tool.
Key findings from the responses to DART's spring survey include:
- 77% of riders are satisfied or very satisfied with the overall quality of DART service.
- 97% of non-riders indicated public transit is important or very important to the region.
- 80% of riders and non-riders want funding for DART to increase.
- Top requests for riders and non-riders alike was
- shorter travel times
- more frequency,
- and bus stops closer to their home or destinations.
- Top request for riders also included expanded service hours on both weekdays and weekends.
- 71% of riders who responded live in low-income households and of these:
- 40% must travel outside of Des Moines to get to or from work, and
- 74% do not have a car in their household
- Of the proposed innovative service models included in the survey, On-Demand shuttles operated by DART were the most popular with respondents.
What comes next?
All the input we have received so far, and the feedback you provide by using our online tool, will help us understand the mobility needs of our region. Over the next few months, we will finalize a vision for the future of transit to ensure we continue to carry out our mission to enrich lives, connect communities and expand opportunities for all our member communities. This vision will be unveiled to Central Iowans this winter.