In the month of May, you can ride DART for free when you board with a bike. Discover how easy (and quick) it is to Bike & Ride! The free rides are valid on Local, Express, Flex, On Call and DART On Demand services. After loading a bike, riders simply board the bus and find a seat without needing to pay a fare.
Learn more about DART's year round Bike & Ride opportunities here.
How to use DART bike racks
(It takes less than 20 seconds to load or unload your bike on DART!)
- As the bus pulls up, raise your hand to attract the attention of the operator. Before you step in front of the bus, make sure it is completely stopped and the operator sees you.
- If the rack is in the upright position, squeeze the release handle on the top and lower the rack.
- Lift your bike into the wheel slots. If there is already a bike on the rack, load yours in the opposite direction in the remaining slot.
- When your bike is loaded, lift the support arm up and over the front bike tire as close to the bike frame as possible.
- Board the bus and pay your fare. (September 2021, no fare is needed when you Bike & Board. Simply hop on the bus after you've put your bike on the rack.)
- When approaching your stop, let the bus operator know you will be unloading your bike. Then exit through the front door.
- Lift the support arm from the bike’s front tire and take your bike out of the rack.
- If the rack is empty, please raise the rack up against the bus. Return to the curb and signal the operator that you and your bike are safely away from the bus.
Plan your trip on DART
- View the DART system map and bus schedules.
- MyDART - The MyDART app is your all-in-one tool for riding DART. Plan your trip, get bus times and buy bus passes all in one mobile app. The MyDART Trip Planner is also available from your web browser on ridedart.com.
- Contact customer service by calling 515-283-8100 and selecting Option 0, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or visiting in-person at DART Central Station, 620 Cherry Street, Des Moines.
Secure Bike Storage
- Secure Bike Storage is available at DART Central Station in downtown Des Moines. The indoor storage room and changing room are available for a $50 annual fee plus a $50 one-time deposit. (To download the bicycle storage application, click here.)
Frequently Asked Questions
Which buses have bike racks?
All DART Local, Express, On Call and DART On Demand buses have bike racks, located on the front of the bus. In general, unless you are using DART's Paratransit program, your bus will have a bike rack. If you are a RideShare vanpool member, you can request a bike rack for your van.
What types of bikes fit on the bike rack?
DART's bike racks will hold most single-rider, two-wheel bikes, including children's bikes. Tandems, recumbents, fat tire bikes and tricycles will not fit in the bike rack. BCycle bikes will not fit in the bike rack. Bikes must be in working order to qualify for a free ride.
How many bikes can fit on the bus?
Each bus has room for two bikes. If the bus pulls up to your stop and there are already two bikes on the rack, we ask that you please wait for the next bus or lock up your bike to a nearby bike rack, if possible.