The Walnut Street bridge in Downtown Des Moines will close for construction starting in 2024. The Walnut Street bridge is used weekdays by Local Route 10 – East University in both inbound and outbound directions. The route must be relocated due to the bridge closing. The bridge is expected to be closed for two years.
DART proposes to adjust Local Route 10 in Downtown Des Moines to remove the section that uses the Walnut Street bridge while maintaining access to popular stops for customers of Local Route 10.
Proposed Route Changes
The portion of the route that travels on Walnut Street in Downtown Des Moines would be discontinued. DART is studying three options to reroute Route 10 and is seeking public input on the preferred route to travel:
- Option 1: Travel on 6th Avenue and 7th Street
- Option 2: Travel on 8th Street and 9th Street
- Option 3: Travel on Grand Avenue
Click on the image below to expand:
How to Give Input
There are a variety of ways you can let DART know what you think:
- Complete the online survey.
- Call DART Customer Service at 515-283-8100, then select option 0, to request a survey.
- Pick up or drop off a paper survey from the Customer Service window at DART Central Station (620 Cherry St., Des Moines).
- Email comments to DART Customer Service at email@example.com.
- Submit written comments to DART Customer Service in-person, or mail comments to:
- Attn: Customer Service
- DART Central Station
- 620 Cherry St.
- Des Moines, IA 50309
Your feedback will be used to guide DART in deciding the Local Route 10 changes. Route changes will begin in February 2024.