DART is collecting public feedback as it plans for its August 2018 service change, which will include updates to several current DART routes and schedules, as well as the addition of a new crosstown route. Riders are asked to provide feedback by attending a public meeting or event, completing an online survey or through rider submitted comment cards and emails.
Riders can navigate to the proposed changes by clicking on the links below.
- Creation of Local Route 50 - Euclid, a new crosstown route in north Des Moines along Euclid and Douglas Avenues
- Routing changes to Local Route 10 – East University to serve Iowa Lutheran Hospital
- Adjustments to school-related trip times to match new bell times for Des Moines Public Schools
- Schedule changes on most Local Routes to provide better, more frequent, service all-day long, rather than just during peak travel times.[SR1]
How to Give Input
There are a variety of ways you can let DART know what you think of these proposed service changes. These include:
- Attending a public meeting or information session
- Completing an online survey
- Emailing comments to DART Customer Service at email@example.com
- Submitting written comments to DART Customer Service in-person, or by mailing comments to:
DART Customer Service
620 Cherry St.
Des Moines, Iowa 50309
Several public meetings and events are planned to collect input. These meetings are scheduled for:
- Monday, April 16 at 6 p.m. in Principal Group Conference Room A in the Student Center on Grand View University Campus
- Tuesday, April 17 at noon online on DART's Facebook page utilizing a Facebook Live video stream.
- Wednesday, April 18 at noon in the Multimodal Room on the 2nd floor of DART Central Station
In addition to public meetings, DART will host Grab and Go events where staff will be available to answer questions and distribute materials. These events will be held:
- Wednesday, April 18, 2018 from 2 to 5 p.m. at DART Central Station (620 Cherry St)
- Thursday, April 19, 2018 from 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. at Java Joes CoffeeHouse (4944 Douglas Ave)
- Thursday, April 19, 2018 on board DART Local Routes 3 and 52
- Friday, April 20, 2018 from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Polk County River Place (2309 Euclid Ave)
- Monday, April 23, 2018 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on board DART Local Route 17
As mentioned above, DART is hosting its first-ever online public input session using Facebook Live at noon on Tuesday, April 17. Riders are encouraged to Like and Follow DART on Facebook for updates on this event. Comments can be submitted on DART’s Facebook page, or can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If language, visual and hearing services are needed for DART's public meetings, please contact Customer Service prior to the meeting by calling 515-283-8100 or emailing email@example.com. Transportation services are also available.
Proposed August 2018 Service Change
DART will begin service on its first-ever crosstown route, travelling along Euclid and Douglas Avenues in north Des Moines between E 42nd Street and Haymarket Mall on Merle Hay Road. This route will allow riders to travel to businesses and organizations along this corridor without having to come downtown first to transfer at DART Central Station.
Service on Local Route 50 is proposed to operate every 40 minutes on weekdays between 5 a.m. and 11 p.m. Local Route 50 will travel past transfer locations for the following DART Routes:
- Local Route 1 – Fairgrounds
- Local Route 4 – E 14th Street
- Local Route 5 – Franklin Ave/Johnston
- Local Route 14 – Beaver Avenue
- Local Route 15 – 6th Avenue
- Local Route 16 – Douglas Avenue
- Local Route 17 – Hubbell Avenue/Altoona
DART is proposing changes to Local Route 10 – University Avenue to expand coverage in Des Moines. Last winter, DART collected feedback through a survey and heard support for adding service on this route to Iowa Lutheran Hospital.
The map above shows the proposed changes would eliminate trips to the Iowa State Capitol Complex, which is served by several other routes, and instead travel to Iowa Lutheran Hospital. The discontinued portion of Route 10 will still be served by Local Route 1 - Fairgrounds and Local Route 4 – E 14th Street
DART is adjusting schedule times for school-related trips to provide transportation for middle and high school students in the Des Moines Public School (DMPS) District that matches the new school start and end times adopted earlier this year.
DART staff has been evaluating service on all routes and is proposing changes to schedules to provide better service throughout the day to our riders. The proposed changes include starting service on some Local Routes earlier on weekdays so area employees can get to work by 6 a.m., and providing more midday frequency on several Local Routes.
Proposed changes are shown in the table below. To view draft schedules, click on the route names in the table. "All day" service listed in the table below is the frequency for DART's services between the approximate hours of 6 a.m. and 6 p.m.
DART route frequency changes for August 2018 service change
|Route||Current frequency||Proposed frequency|
|Local Route 1 - Fairgrounds||15-30 minute peak / 30 minute midday||30 minute all day|
|Local Route 3 - University||20 minute peak / 30 minute midday||20 minute all day|
|Local Route 4 - E 14th St||30 minute peak / 60 minute midday||30 minute peak / 60 minute midday|
|Local Route 5 - Franklin Ave/Johnston||30 minute peak / 50 minute midday||30 minute peak / 60 minute midday|
|Local Route 6 - Indianola Ave||10-20 minute peak / 30 minute midday|
20 minute all day
|Local Route 7 - SW 9th St||15/20 minute peak / 30 minute midday||20 minute all day|
|Local Route 10 - East University||60 minute all day (30 minute first hour)||60 minute all day (30 minute first hour)|
|Local Route 14 - Beaver Ave||30 minute peak / 60 minute midday||30 minute all day|
|Local Route 15 - 6th Ave||15 minute peak / 30 minute midday||20 minute all day|
|Local Route 16 - Douglas Ave||10-15 minute peak / 30 minute midday||20 minute all day|
|Local Route 17 - Hubbell Ave/Altoona||30 minute (all frequency out to Altoona, 15 minutes on Hubbell Short line in the peaks)||30 minute (all frequency out to Altoona, 15 minutes on Hubbell Short line in the peaks)|
|Local Route 52 - Valley West/Jordan Creek||30 minute peak / 60 minute midday||30 minute all day|
|Local Route 60 - University/Ingersoll||20 minute all day||20 minute all day|
|Local Route 50 - Euclid Crosstown||- - - -||40 minute all day|
Let us know what you think!
DART is considering the proposed changes above because we want to provide the best possible service for our riders and the region we serve. This is why it is so important that we receive feedback, especially from those riders who will be affected by the changes described above.
We encourage riders and the public to provide feedback on the proposed changes in one of the following ways: