Posted on February, 8 2021
Beginning Tuesday, February 2, a new federal mandate requires people using public transportation to wear a mask. DART riders are encouraged to wear their own reusable mask, but disposable masks will be available at the front of each bus and at the entrance to the DART Central Station lobby. This mandate requires people using public transportation to wear a mask at all times on public transit vehicles and at transit facilities, including while outdoors waiting for a bus.
Masks should fit securely over the face and must be worn over the mouth and nose at all times. A face shield cannot be worn in place of a mask. Small children and anyone with an ADA eligible medical exemption will not be required to wear a mask.
Passengers who do not comply with the new federal mask mandate will be asked to get off the bus or leave the premises at DART Central Station.
DART’s Board of Commissioners have required masks on all DART buses and at DART Central Station since August 23, 2020. DART operators have been required to wear a mask or face shield while driving since June. This policy is now enforced by this new federal mandate. If you have questions or concerns about the federal mask mandate please contact Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-283-8100.
Ongoing safety measures
Scientific evidence is clear that wearing a mask is one of the best ways to prevent the spread of COVID-19, especially in indoor or enclosed spaces.
The federal mask requirement is just one of the many safety measures DART has taken to promote the health and wellbeing of its employees and riders. Some other measures include:
- The installation of temporary plastic barriers between the fareboxes and the operator’s seat on all buses;
- providing hand sanitizer and face masks for riders on the bus;
- limiting capacity on each bus to around 50% by blocking off seats to promote social distancing;
- daily cleaning and sanitizing of all DART vehicles and facilities with regular disinfecting of high-touch areas throughout the day;
- providing PPE for all employees; and
- requiring employees to complete wellbeing check before work each day, which includes a temperature check.
When it comes to the health and safety of our riders and employees, DART is all in, all along the way. Learn more about DART’s COVID safety measures here.